What is Erectile Dysfunction and How it is Caused?
There are many reasons behind erectile dysfunction, it is characterized by the inability to maintain an erection for sexual intercourse. Previously it was thought that it was because of psychological reasons but it is because of physical health. But it can impact psychologically by decreasing self-esteem and relationships.
There is a list of reasons high cause erectile dysfunction. The most common of them is decreased blood supply because of vascular disease and prostate problems.
Cause of Erectile Dysfunction
- Diabetes is a common problem in the present time and people with diabetes have a 35-50% chance of having erectile dysfunction. It is because of peripheral neuropathy which cause nervous disorder.
- Nervous disorder also causes erectile dysfunction, because nerves play role in erection.
- Depression is another reason behind erectile dysfunction. Depression affects cardiovascular function which causes decreased blood flow in penile tissues.
- Alcoholism, heavy medication can also be a reason for erectile dysfunction. Because it can cause both nerve problems and vascular blood flow problems.
- Drugs medicines and chemotherapy also cause erectile dysfunction. A cancer patient or a patient with a large number of medicines has a 90% chance of erectile dysfunction. However patient with these severe diseases is restless and not strong enough to make such physical relationships.
- Hormones can also cause erectile dysfunction, name Some hormones that do so are testosterone, thyroid, and anterior pituitary hormones.
Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms
Several symptoms can seen together or in the sections, but they are relayed to each other. It is difficult to achieve an erection or to maintain it, and a long erection is not possible in such patients. The common symptoms of erectile dysfunction are:
- The primary symptom is difficulty in achieving an erection, even after sexual desire.
- Other symptoms are the inability to sustain an erection for a long time, and the inability to complete sexual intercourse.
- There is a reduced sexual desire and it can also cause emotional distress in the mind.
- There are mild erections, an individual with these erections can’t have sexual intercourse.
- Premature Ejaculation is a condition when an individual doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse at that time because of anxiety and depression.
Premature ejaculation occurs just before vaginal penetration and the urge for avoidance of sexual intimacy is dominant. Sometimes reason behind this is also disinterest in coitus, or we can say that related to psychology. Stress and depression can also cause premature ejaculation in the later period of sexual life.
Types of Erectile Dysfunction
There are several types of Erectile dysfunction based on the cause of and factors that affect sexual intercourse and cause erectile dysfunction as mentioned above. There are 10 types of ED based on causes:
- Mixed erectile dysfunction
- Medication erectile Dysfunction
- Hormonal erectile dysfunction
- Psychological or Emotional erectile dysfunction
- Neurogenic erectile dysfunction
- Vascular erectile dysfunction
- Physical or organic ED
- Lifestyle erectile dysfunction
- Psychogenic erectile dysfunction
- Post-surgery ED
Mixed ED is caused by multiple reasons and is usually treated with the help of multiple treatments. Erectile dysfunction is also caused by excess masturbation and other lifestyle-related problems like Alcoholism. Prostate surgery and pelvic surgery can also cause permanent erectile dysfunction because of surgery trauma.
Diagnosis of the Erectile Dysfunction
There are multiple tests for the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction and also for knowing the exact cause behind erectile dysfunction.
Blood test – Hormone level can be measured with the help of a blood test and it helps diagnose hormonal ED.
Physical examination – Obesity and hormonal imbalances are something that can be seen in terms of physical observation and can be helpful in detecting physical ED.
Nocturnal Penile Tumescence (NTP) – It measure night erection and help to differentiate between psychological and physical causes of the erectile dysfunction.
Imaging – It is necessary to check organs with the help of ultrasound they are tested with X-rays or any other type of imaging technique.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Sometimes it is done with the help of multiple options of treatment and based on the causes and symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) is given in the form of oral medicines. Other medicines are Cialis, Levitra, and Viagra, and they enhance blood flow in the tissues.
Direct medicines are admitted in the penile region, these medicines are Alprostadil and Papaverine. They may cause pain for some time but effective injections for erectile dysfunction.
These are implanted under skin and allow the patient to control time of erection. There are two types of penile implants semi-rigid rods and inflatable implants.
Vacuum Erection Devices
These devices create vacuum near the penis and allow blood to enter the penis and then close with a constriction ring for the maintenance of an erection.
There are various hormone therapies and Psychological counselling for treating erectile dysfunction. Lifestyle modification is also done to prevent these diseases.
Erectile dysfunction is something that can completely ruin sexual life. There are many reasons behind erectile dysfunction and they are treated with several treatments like oral, hormonal, surgical, and implants. There are also psychological thoughts attached to erectile dysfunction, so we need to think about it also. If you or your near ones have these symptoms please contact to doctor immediately. You can contact Dr. Sakey Narnoli, he is an experienced doctor.